WhatsApp Payments: How to Send and Receive Money
WhatsApp Pay will be available to Indian users. This allows them to send and receive money through the app’s chats. Here’s how payments work.
WhatsApp Pay finally launched in India in 2018 after initial testing by the Facebook-owned company. WhatsApp Pay will now be available in India in 10 regional languages.
After the National Payments Corporation of India, (NPCI), approved WhatsApp’s launch of UPI-based payments in India on its platform, this announcement was made. The NPCI is also responsible for the United Payment Interface (UPI), which is a payments infrastructure that was created through a collaboration between several large Indian banks.
WhatsApp joins Google and Samsung to make it possible for its users to send and receive payments through their platform. The feature was not available to more than 20 million Indian users, as the NPCI is reporting that it has been restricted to only 40 million of India’s active users.
This is because NPCI believes the service should be presented in a tiered manner. WhatsApp currently works with five of the most important Indian banks, namely:
- HDFC Bank
- State Bank of India
- ICICI Bank
- Jio Payment Bank
- Banking axis
This is a quick guide to help you set up an WhatsApp Pay account and use the feature.
1. First, you must install the latest version WhatsApp on your smartphone or update the app.
2. You can update or install WhatsApp on Android by visiting the Google Play Store. For iOS users, it is possible to do this directly at the Apple Store.
3. After you have done this, open WhatsApp and click the three dots option at the top right corner.
4. This drop-down menu will now have the option to pay your bills after you update.
5. Click on the link and select “Add payment method”. After that, you’ll see a list with bank names.
6. To make WhatsApp payments, select your bank and verify your number. Once you have received the code, select “Verify via SMS” to enter it.
7. Check that your WhatsApp number is the same as the one linked to your bank account.
8. After your account number and account have been verified, you are able to use WhatsApp Pay. To make transactions, you will need to create an UPI pin.
9. After all of this, you can finally see the bank selected on the “Payments” page in the instant messaging platform.
1. After you have opened the chat with the person to whom money is being sent, click on the “attachment” icon.
2. The Android and WhatsApp web attachment icons should look similar to a clip button. It is located in the right corner of Android’s screen, near the “camera button”, while it is located in WhatsApp Web in the left corner, close to the emoticon’s “smiley” button.
3. You can make payments on an iPhone by tapping the “+” button located near the chat box.
4. From the available options, select the “Payment” button.
5. To complete the transaction, add the amount to be sent and enter your UPI PIN.
6. It is important that both parties have activated their WhatsApp Pay accounts and set up everything in order to complete a successful transaction. If neither party has the money, it will be impossible to transfer it.
WhatsApp Pay currently has a limit of Rs. 1 lakh for transactions in India. All UPI applications must have a minimum of 1 lakh.